Friday 9 July 2010

Skate & Thrash

I was a big skateboard fan back in the day (around 1987 - 1991) and even better the scene merged into the thrash metal world which made for exciting times to both skaters and moshers alike. You can see how each scene complimented each other, both being pumped up, energetic and adrenaline fuelled. Thrash music was the perfect soundtrack to skateboarding and at the time there were lots of cool bands to ride the pipe and ramps to.
I have one of my old vinyl thrash compilation records in front of me as I type and looking at some of the band names brings a slew of memories racing back; Gang Green, Mucky Pup, Toxik, Stormtroopers Of Death, D.R.I., Znowhite, Sacred Reich and Atrophy to drop just a few classic bombshells. It was good times shredding the streets with these guys blasting out of a propped up ghettoblaster, the music pushing us further into attempting higher acid drops (skating off high ledges) and better ollies.
These years are meshed into my mind in glorious detail and it was truly a golden era of thrash and skate scenes. I used to love drawing band logos onto the wooden ramps, and in a sense it contributed to my creativity. Copying the artwork made me want to do my own stuff and so followed some interesting (and morbid) creations.
God how I wish I could shred the streets like I used to with S.O.D on my tail like a rabid, killer puppy from the moshpit! But alas my skatboarding days are over, apart from the odd occasion when I dig out an old board and do a few laps of the living room. And one things for sure, skating helped to forge a truly powerful heart in my chest that beats loudly for the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment